What Diligence Means To Me

While serving a mission in Alabama, I was striving for diligence. I wanted to work hard, challenge and push myself so that I could be the best I could. Unfortunately this came at a great price for me. As it turned out, I was setting the bar for myself way higher than the Lord ever had. I was pushing myself past the breaking point and was sick often. In addition, my depression and anxiety worsened. I was not doing what the Lord wanted.

Diligence: (noun) careful and persistent work or effort.

Mosiah 4:27 And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.

Careful: (adjective) making sure of avoiding potential danger, mishap, or harm; cautious.

I was not being careful in doing the Lord's work. I was not avoiding potential danger. I was running faster than I had strength.

If any of you have ever done any sort of running, you would know that if you push yourself too hard, you risk injury. It could be a pulled muscle, you could fall and sprain an ankle, you could pass out. The list goes on.
In middle school, I ran track. My race was the 800 meter run. One track meet however, they needed another person to run the 400 meter. I figured I could do it. It was half of what I was used to running so why not.
As it turned out, I was not prepared for the run. I pushed myself so hard to keep up with the other girls. I thought because I could run the 800 in so many minutes, I should be able to run the 400 in half of that. obviously this was not the case. I am pretty sure I finished in last. After I crossed the finish line I went straight to my mom and collapsed onto the ground, keeping my head in between my knees. Luckily I did not pass out that day, but I did face the consequences.

Being diligent in anything requires us to know our limits. It requires us to be in tune with our bodies and recognize when something is too much. It requires us to say 'no' sometimes.

This has been on my mind today. My fibromyalgia decided it wanted to flare up so my pain was at around an 7 instead of my usual 5. I tried taking a relaxing bath, but the heat only made my muscle spasms worse somehow. That's when I realized I wasn't going to be able to do the thing I had planned. I was finally going to go to a yoga class taught by my favorite instructor. I missed physical therapy. I was however, able to take some prescriptions and rest. Today I have been diligent. I am doing what I am able to do. I am being careful and taking care of myself, that way when I am not in so much pain, I might be able to do more of what I would like to do.


The enemy wants us to feel that we are not doing enough, that we aren't enough in general. He wants us to feel that we have nothing to offer, or that we have to push ourselves to the breaking point in order to make a difference. This is not the case, and it is not the Lord's way.

The Savior asks us to come as we are, be it broken, messy, sinful, or down trodden. He loves us more than we realize, and He loves us more than we could ever love ourselves. We can become more like Him if we take even just a few minutes each day to take care of ourselves, however that may be for a particular person or a particular day.

In the book of Mark, after learning of John the Baptist's death Jesus and the apostles leave to be alone for a little while.

Mark 6: 30-32
And the apostles gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught.

And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.

And they departed into a desert place by ship privately.

John the Baptist was basically Jesus' best friend. The Savior of the World needed time to mourn his death.

Now, the Savior was perfect, and was able to feed the 5000 before going off to have some alone time. That is not always the case for us, and that is okay.

Later, after the miracle was complete, the Lord told the apostles to go into the ship.

verse 46 says: And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray.



If Jesus Christ, the Son of God, can take some time to himself to mourn his cousin's death, even though He of all people understand and know that He will see him again, we can take time to take care of ourselves.

Please be kind to yourself and do something to rejuvenate your body and soul. Learn to love yourself as our Heavenly Parents and Brother do and become more like them in doing so.





xx


Comments

Popular Posts